Monday, November 18, 2013

Wrestling with the Draft (Exercise 5.1)

Today in class we worked with our rough drafts and distinguished between the difference between our thoughts and other author's writings and thoughts. In tonight's assignment we have a list of questions that we need to answer according to how we marked our rough drafts in class today.
Which color dominates? The yellow color dominated (The other sources)
Are you turning over too much of the text to your sources? Most of my rough draft was from other sources but some of it was my own thoughts. 
Are you ignoring them and rattling on too much about what you think? I am not ignoring the other authors. I am putting a lot of their information in my research paper but I am not putting a lot of my own thoughts in my paper from this first draft.
Or does your source use seem appropriate to support your purpose? I need to add more of thoughts in between the other author thoughts as well.

Next we needed to look at the color pattern on our rough draft and answer a set of questions:
What do you notice about this pattern? The color pattern started out as my thoughts as the introduction and then I moved into other's thoughts. It was mostly yellow for the rest of the paper with a few of my thoughts placed here and there. 
Are you taking turns paragraph by paragraph with your sources, or is your own analysis and commentary nicely blended within paragraphs, so that the information is always anchored to your own thoughts? The information is spread paragraph by paragraph not blended well.   
Do you surround quoted passages with your own voice and analysis? My first rough draft is not finished but I don't have any quotes in it at this point.
Who wins the wrestling match? The other authors voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment